Formation of Branch & Associates
The origins of The Branch Group, Inc. date to the 1950's when Bill H. Branch and C.W. McAlister teamed to pursue road and site construction.
Bill Branch eventually bought the founding company from C.W. McAllister in the 1960s when the industry was highly fragmented, and most businesses were family-owned. Bill Branch had an engineering background and with the need for infrastructure positioning what would later become the Branch Group, into a leadership position in an emerging market.
In 1963, the organization was recognized and charted as Branch & Associates and has provided continuous construction service since then.
Company Adds Two New Divisions
From modest beginnings, the Branch organization continued to grow steadily adding a mechanical contracting division and a building construction division in the 1970's, which added a new generation of capabilities for the Branch Group.
Branch & Associates Becomes An Employee Owned Company
In 1982 the Branch Board of Directors adopted an Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP) which began the era of employee ownership. The resulting ownership culture where each employee has a vested interest in the success of each project and each company has been a major contributor to our sustained growth and profitability.
Purchase of G.J. Hopkins
This was the year that Branch and Associates purchased G.J. Hopkins. Soon afterward, Branch Mechanical merged into the newly acquired G. J. Hopkins. G. J. Hopkins originally started in 1958 with the goal of providing mechanical contracting services from the quality perspective using sound engineering principles.
Personnel with experience and technical expertise and electrical field were added to the staff in 1963. This allowed G. J. Hopkins to offer both disciplines and to provide a combined, coordinated package, which covered both fields. A sheet metal shop was added to allow the company better quality and cost control over this vital aspect of mechanical projects.
Company Reorganizes As The Branch Group & Branch Highways
In 1986, the corporate and accounting departments of Branch and Associates became The Branch Group, Inc. At the same time, the highway and equipment division became Branch Highways, Inc. With the reorganization, Branch Highways became an industry leader and working with major clients in Virginia and beyond.
Purchase of E.V. Williams
On February 1, 1997, E.V. Williams Company, headquartered in the Hampton Roads/Tidewater area of Virginia, was purchased by Branch Highways and became a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Branch Group The purchase of E.V. Williams, a full-service Prime Contractor, enabled The Branch Group. to continue growing.
Purchase of R.E. Daffan
In 2007, The Branch Group purchased R. E. Daffan, Inc., a Manassas, Virginia, based general contractor.
In January 2014, Branch-Daffan, Inc. was formed with the merger of the two Branch Group, Inc. general contracting subsidiaries — Manassas-based R.E. Daffan and Roanoke-based Branch and Associates.
Formation of Branch Civil
Early in 2017, J. William Karbach, CEO of The Branch Group, announced the consolidation of its civil subsidiaries, Branch Highways, and E.V. Williams. The newly consolidated company was named Branch Civil, Inc.
According to Karbach, "This consolidation supports our long-range strategic growth plans by significantly improving our go to market capabilities, scalability, and the economic economy of scale, particularly in the evolving transportation-construction industry throughout the Mid-Atlantic and the Southeast United States. Our extremely effective and competitive team positions us for a 20-year market trajectory and beyond."